“Show me a toddler that doesn’t like mini muffins and I will show you my pet giraffe.” -Michele Olivier, author of the Little Foodie cookbook
My toddler, like most others, is a muffinista. If it comes in a muffin, she will probably eat it. Hence why I love these muffins packed with spinach and whole wheat flour. She smiles as she tastes a tender, banana-vanilla flavored muffin; and I smile as she stuffs her face, knowing that she has a mouthful of goodness 🙂
Note: This is not a food blog, so don’t look for fancy food art. (I do not have time to stock the freezer with two crazy kiddos and take elaborate pictures lol)
Yield: 48 mini muffins
- 2 1/4 Cups – White wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons – Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon – Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon – Salt
- 1 large – Egg
- 1/2 cup – Sugar (white)
- 3/4 cup – Buttermilk (I use 3/4 cup non-dairy milk + 3/4 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice. Stir and let it “sour” for a minute before using.)
- 2 Tablespoons – Applesauce
- 2 Tablespoons – Oil (I’ve used Safflower & melted Coconut Oil, but any oil should work.)
- 1 Tablespoon – Vanilla extract
- 6 ounces – Baby spinach
- 2 – ripe medium/large Bananas (about 8 ounces unpeeled/3/4 cup mashed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Blend together all of the other ingredients.
- Whisk the blender mixture into the flour mixture until just combined.
- Portion and bake them in a well-greased muffin tin of your choosing. (Due to the lower fat content, these muffins will want to stick.)
- Bake 7-9 minutes (if you use a mini muffin tin) or about 18-20 minutes (according to the original recipe, this should do it if you use a standard muffin tin). Check for doneness by either toothpick testing them OR gently pushing on a couple of the muffin tops and making sure that they spring back.
- Let them cool in the pan for a couple minutes and then scoop them out onto a cooling rack.
- Enjoy warm or allow them to cool completely before bagging and freezing them 🙂
What are your thoughts/reactions? Did your crew enjoy them as much as mine? Share your feedback in the comments section below!